Sunday, February 10, 2013

I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly


My kindergartner's always spent about a week doing "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly". We sing the song with the book, then we sing the song with the puppet. When we sing it with the puppet, I hand out the little beanbag animals to the kids and let them feed it to the old lady when their animal is sung. Then, just to spice things up (and get our crayons out) we do this art project:


I let the kids color the lady any way they want to (many students made her look like an alien with their color choices), and then as we sing the song they draw the animals in. It's a fun project for them! We then sing the again and the kids point the correct animals as we sing them.

My kids liked the song so much this year that I decided to do a program based on this story. I'll let you know how it turns out later, but my idea is to sing a different song for each animal. Here is what I have so far:

Fly - "Shoo Fly"
Spider - "Itsy Bitsy Spider"
Bird - "Here Comes a Blue Bird"
Cat - "The Old Gray Cat"
Dog - "Bow Bow Bow"
Cow - "Hunt the Cows"
Horse - "Bell Horses"

Hopefully it will turn out well! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment